MADRID, Spain: Lionel Messi scored twice on Sunday as Barcelona trounced Real Sociedad 6-1 to keep the pressure on Atletico Madrid, who squeezed past Alaves thanks to a late penalty save from Jan Oblak.
Oblak’s 86th-minute heroics denied Joselu and ensured Luis Suarez’s header was enough for a 1-0 victory at the Wanda Metropolitano, meaning the gap at the top of La Liga remains at four points, with 10 games left to play.
But the contrast between Atletico’s nervy win against 19th-placed Alaves and Barca’s demolition of a Real Sociedad side with hopes of qualifying for Europe spoke volumes about where the momentum lies in the Spanish title race.
Atletico will hope Oblak’s save can prove to be a turning point after a challenging few weeks, while the international break might offer Diego Simeone’s side a chance to reset and refresh ahead of the run-in.
“There are games where you suffer but that’s what makes football beautiful,” said Oblak.
Simeone said: “Like all great teams, there is always one that scores a lot of goals and one that makes a lot of saves. They are both decisive players who make the team stronger.”
Barcelona, meanwhile, have hit their stride, their six goals against Real Sociedad no less than they deserved for a scintillating attacking display, and perhaps their best since Ronald Koeman took charge.
Messi scored his 11th and 12 goals in his last 10 games, and made it 16 in 12 this year. It is a far cry from his underwhelming start to the season, when the 33-year-old looked weighed down by talk about his future.
Messi’s form represents the biggest threat to Atletico’s position at the top of the table but he was not alone at the Reale Arena, where Sergino Dest scored twice either side of half-time after Antoine Griezmann had slammed in the opener.
Ousmane Dembele and Real Sociedad’s Ander Barrenetxea — with arguably the goal of the night — both registered between Messi’s double in the second half.
For Barcelona, it is a ninth consecutive away win in the league, with a club record 10th within their grasp if they beat Real Madrid in the Clasico on April 10.
Real Sociedad must now try to recover before they play Basque rivals Athletic Bilbao in the postponed Copa del Rey final from last year on April 3.
Dest had already hit the crossbar when Messi set Jordi Alba free down the left and while Dembele’s finish was saved, Griezmann was on hand to slam home the rebound.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen had to rectify his own poor clearance by getting down low to deny Alexander Isak but Real Sociedad’s resistance was brief.
Messi slipped in Dest to fire in and then Alba pulled back from the other side for the American to make it three.
Messi snuck in behind early in the second half, poking in Sergio Busquets’ ball over the top before Dembele was allowed to glide through unchallenged, and impressively drove into the far corner.
Barrenetxea at least put his side on the scoreboard, and brilliantly, by nipping inside Frenkie de Jong and thundering a shot into the top corner but Messi had the last word, a crisp finish curling inside the near post.
Messi stays ahead of Suarez in the La Liga scoring charts, despite the Uruguayan’s excellent finish nine minutes into the second half against Alaves.
Thomas Lemar turned the ball around the corner to Marcos Llorente, who fed Kieran Trippier racing down the right, and he curled a cross in on the run to the near post, where Suarez headed in.
But without a second goal, Alaves always had a chance and they were given a golden one after Stefan Savic was judged to have put an arm across Luis Rioja just inside the penalty area.
Joselu stepped up and struck it well to his left but Oblak read it right and, with his left foot still pinned to the line, sprung out and pushed the ball away.
ta/jc
Messi on song as Barcelona thrash Sociedad, Atletico edge past Alaves
https://arab.news/4uw6v
Messi on song as Barcelona thrash Sociedad, Atletico edge past Alaves

- Messi stays ahead of Suarez in the La Liga scoring charts, despite the Uruguayan’s excellent finish nine minutes into the second half against Alaves
Altomare hangs on to tie defending champ Korda at LPGA Match Play

- Korda’s Match Play victory last year was part of a spectacular seven-title campaign
- This year’s tournament features 64 players drawn into 16 groups for round-robin match play, with one player from each group advancing to the knockout rounds
LOS ANGELES: Nelly Korda’s LPGA Match Play title defense got off to a sluggish start Wednesday as Brittany Altomare rallied from 2-down to tie the world No. 1 on the opening day at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“To end up in a tie was a win for me,” said Altomare, who is working her way back after taking time off to have a baby last year.
“Nelly is a great player. Obviously world No. 1 and a great person. It was a lot of fun out there.”
On a day when cold, gusting winds ramped up the level of difficulty, Korda opened with three bogeys as Altomare took an early 1-up lead.
Korda’s first birdie of the day at the par-three fifth put her 1-up and she was 2-up with four to play before a bogey at 15 cut her lead to one.
Altomare nabbed her first birdie of the day at the par-five 16th to level the match.
“I reached that green in two, and I think those two shots really felt good,” Altomare said.
“I was 2-down, so I felt like that was kind of a turning point for me to keep the match going.”
Korda’s Match Play victory last year was part of a spectacular seven-title campaign.
But she has yet to win this season, with two top-10 finishes in three starts.
The tie left Korda and Altomare half a point behind Ariya Jutanugarn in group one after the Thai star rallied late to beat Jennifer Kupcho 3 and 2.
This year’s tournament features 64 players drawn into 16 groups for round-robin match play, with one player from each group advancing to the knockout rounds.
If there is a tie for first in a group, the winner will be determined by a playoff.
It is a change from last year, when the top eight players after three rounds of stroke play advanced to weekend match play.
Among other day-one matches, Canada’s Brooke Henderson came up with a big victory, winning 6 and 5 over Ireland’s Leona Maguire, who was runner-up to Korda last year.
“First hole Leona stuffed it to two feet so I had to make maybe an over 20 feet birdie putt to halve the hole. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is going to be hard.’
She holed it and never trailed, taking a 2-up lead through three after a couple of Maguire miscues and pushing it to 3-up with a birdie at the par-five fourth.
Henderson said getting off to a strong start was important not only because of the challenging conditions but also because of Maguire’s match play credentials, which include a strong Solheim Cup resume.
“Playing with Leona, I knew it was going to be really, really tough because she has such a great track record with match play and she is such a great player.
“She was playing well. It was just a really tough day out there.”
World No. 2 Jeeno Thitikul of Thailand led all the way in a 6 and 5 victory over American Danielle Kang.
But third-ranked Lydia Ko of New Zealand suffered a shock defeat, falling 6 and 4 to Australian world No. 140 Hira Naveed — who made it into the field as the first alternate.
Liverpool restore 12-point lead as Jota seals win over Everton

- The champions elect, with 73 points after 30 games, restored their 12-point lead over second-placed Arsenal
LIVERPOOL, England: Liverpool continued their march toward the Premier League title with a 1-0 victory over Everton in a scrappy Merseyside derby as Diogo Jota slotted home the winner in the second half on Wednesday.
The champions elect, with 73 points after 30 games, restored their 12-point lead over second-placed Arsenal while Everton, whose nine-game league unbeaten ended, are 15th on 34 points.
Everton’s Beto had an early goal chalked off for offside and missed a sitter before Jota broke the deadlock in the 57th minute with his first goal in two-and-a-half months. Anfield erupted when Luis Diaz back-heeled the ball into Jota’s path and the Portuguese forward beat a tackle before firing into the net.
“Massive, of course,” Jota said summing up the win. “Not only because it is a derby, but because of the (first game since the) international break. It was important to start with three points and hopefully that gives us momentum for the rest of the season.”
Liverpool fans thought Everton should have been reduced to 10 men after 11 minutes following a fierce tackle by defender James Tarkowski on Alexis Mac Allister, but Everton’s captain was only shown a yellow card.
The teams had met in an explosive derby in February that ended 2-2, with Tarkowski equalising deep in stoppage time in a chaotic game that featured four red cards, including one to Liverpool manager Arne Slot.
While Liverpool are unbeaten in 26 league games, they went into last month’s international break on a negative note after being eliminated by Paris St. Germain in the Champions League and losing to Newcastle United in the League Cup final.
Slot’s men looked sluggish and disjointed on Wednesday and Everton could have gone ahead when Beto raced away from defender Virgil van Dijk and beat goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher before hitting his shot against the post.
Kelleher started in goal for Liverpool, with regular starter Alisson recovering from a concussion suffered on international duty with Brazil.
The heated mood in Anfield was cranked up another notch with the contentious early tackle. Tarkowski won the ball but his studs-up follow-through caught Mac Allister square in the calf. VAR confirmed the decision of a yellow card, which gave the center back the joint most yellow cards without being sent off in Premier League history, with 63.
“I thought at the time that it was a brilliant tackle for a derby game,” Everton boss David Moyes said.
Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said on the Sky Sports commentary that Tarkowski was very lucky to escape a red card for a tackle that was a “potential leg breaker.”
“We were playing against Everton, they make it very difficult for you,” Van Dijk said. The games we have played against each other over the years have always been tough.
“They have a certain way of playing and you have to be ready for it. The first half wasn’t our greatest but we kept a clean sheet and obviously Jota made a fantastic goal. Three points and we move on.”
Moyes remained without a victory at Anfield in 22 games leading Manchester United, Sunderland and West Ham United as well as his current team.
“Liverpool were the better team, there’s no doubt about that,” Moyes said.
“But I don’t like the goal, I think the goal was offside. I’m really surprised it wasn’t given. Or maybe I’m not surprised. I don’t think many managers come here and think that they get loads of decisions at Anfield generally.”
Newcastle beat Brentford 2-1 with Tonali stunner and Isak’s 20th

NEWCASTLE, England: Sandro Tonali scored a sensational winner and Alexander Isak took his season’s Premier League goal tally to 20 as Newcastle United beat Brentford 2-1 on Wednesday to boost their bid for a Champions League place.
Tonali struck in the 74th with a goal destined for endless replays, the shot fired in from a tight angle near the right-hand touchline and leaving Brentford goalkeeper Mark Flekken no chance.
“Honestly, it was 70 percent cross and 30 percent shot,” said the Italian midfielder. “It was difficult for the goalkeeper and difficult also for me. Also a little bit of luck.”
Isak reached his milestone for the second season in a row by prodding home Jacob Murphy’s cross from close range in first-half stoppage time at St. James’ Park after reported Newcastle transfer target Bryan Mbeumo slipped up.
Swedish striker Isak had earlier squandered a golden opportunity by crossing to Harvey Barnes, whose header was ruled offside, instead of shooting directly in a rare moment of indecision.
Mbeumo equalized from the penalty spot in the 66th minute by calmly sending Nick Pope the wrong way for his 15th goal of the campaign after the goalkeeper had brought down Yoane Wissa.
Brentford pressed to the end after Tonali’s goal and came close in stoppage time, with a late penalty claim and VAR check after Mikkel Damsgaard went down with eight extra minutes already on the clock, in a nervy finish for the home crowd.
Damsgaard had also miscued and fired over the bar five minutes earlier.
Newcastle, playing for the first time since they ended a 70-year wait for a domestic trophy with a landmark League Cup triumph at Wembley, are now fifth on 50 points — one behind champions Manchester City and with a game in hand.
Brentford are 11th on 41.
“This win is nice for the Champions League for us, we have a good week and it is perfect for this week,” said Tonali, speaking to Premier League Productions.
“Now we play only for the first five teams, for the Champions League.”
Mbeumo, who has scored all 10 of his 10 penalties, said Brentford had deserved more with Ethan Pinnock also hitting the post with a header in the second half.
“It was a good performance but at the end it was not enough. I think we knew it was going to be a tough game against a very good side and at the end it was a bit frustrating. It is hard to take,” said the Cameroon international.
Barca oust Atletico to set up Clasico Copa del Rey final

- By contrast the Catalans are on the hunt for a potential quadruple and are unbeaten in 2025, stretching their run to 21 games without defeat
MADRID: Barcelona will face rivals Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey final after Ferran Torres secured them a 1-0 win at Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, progressing 5-4 on aggregate from the semifinal tie.
Record 31-time winners Barca had the better of the clash at the Metropolitano stadium after the wild 4-4 first leg draw, and defeat leaves Diego Simeone’s Atletico with little to play for in the rest of the season.
By contrast the Catalans are on the hunt for a potential quadruple and are unbeaten in 2025, stretching their run to 21 games without defeat.
Atletico were the last team to triumph against Barcelona, winning before Christmas to go top of La Liga, but they now trail Hansi Flick’s team by nine points with nine matches remaining.
“We can’t relax, we have to keep believing and working, with humility and I’m sure good things will come,” Torres told Movistar.
“If a final is already a huge motivation, imagine playing against your most direct rival.”
Madrid ousted Real Sociedad 5-4 on aggregate as well after a 4-4 draw on Tuesday at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Flick brought winger Raphinha back into Barcelona’s starting line-up and the hosts tried to shut him down through fair means or foul.
Cesar Azpilicueta was booked for one tackle, surviving a VAR review for a potential red card, while Rodrigo de Paul was also cautioned for going in hard on the Brazilian.
Teenage winger Lamine Yamal ran the show on the other flank for Barcelona, firing wide and teeing up Jules Kounde, who bypassed Robin Le Normand with some neat juggling before lashing over.
The 17-year-old played in Torres for Barcelona’s opener with a well-weighted pass, finished clinically by the former Manchester City forward, who has earned more minutes with his recent performances.
Yamal mishit a shot himself from a good position in the box, while Atletico goalkeeper Juan Musso denied Raphinha at his near post.
Simeone brought on Alexander Sorloth among three changes at the break, after he scored three goals in the three previous meetings between these sides this season.
Perhaps convinced he would make it four in four, Sorloth fired narrowly wide early in the second half with Antoine Griezmann open and ready for a simple finish.
At the other end, Raphinha forced another save from Musso but was himself guilty of not squaring for Fermin Lopez.
Sorloth rattled home what he thought for a few seconds was an equalizer, but he had strayed offside.
With Atletico ascendant, Flick brought on top goalscorer Robert Lewandowski for Torres, but the Polish veteran struggled to get involved.
With four minutes of stoppage time added on Atletico turned the screw, with Musso coming up for a late De Paul free-kick, but Barcelona held off the hosts to progress.
Atletico were dumped out of the Champions League on penalties by rivals Real Madrid in the last 16 and the Copa represented their most realistic chance of silverware this season.
“We have to thank the fans who supported us, we’re as sad as them,” said Atletico defender Jose Gimenez.
“We have to lift up our heads, finish the season in the best way possible and carry on.
“We have to accept the reality, with rational thinking and knowing we’re a long way off (the top of La Liga), but we’ll try until the end.”
Inter and Milan draw 1-1 in first leg of Italian Cup semifinals

MILAN: Inter Milan’s chances of a treble remain alive, as do AC Milan’s hopes of sneaking into Europe after the city rivals drew 1-1 in the first leg of their Italian Cup semifinal on Wednesday.
Hakan Çalhanoğlu thumped in the equalizer against his former club in the 67th minute after Milan forward Tammy Abraham had netted the opener less than two minutes into the second half.
Bologna beat Empoli 3-0 on Tuesday in the other semifinal. The return legs are scheduled for April 23-24.
Inter is on the hunt to repeat a treble haul of trophies it achieved in 2010 under Jose Mourinho. It has a three-point advantage over second-placed Napoli in Serie A — where it is the defending champion — and visits Bayern Munich on Tuesday in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal.
Milan has struggled of late and just two wins in its past six league matches has seen it slip to ninth in Serie A. Winning the Italian Cup guarantees a Europa League spot.
However, the Rossoneri took the lead right at the start of the second half. Inter midfielder Davide Frattesi tried to challenge Youssouf Fofana on the edge of the area but the ball came through to Abraham, who lived up to his reputation as a big game goalscorer with an angled strike into the bottom left corner.
But Çalhanoğlu levelled 20 minutes later with a powerful 20-yard effort that squirmed under Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan.