Tunisian judge imposes media ban on a candidate for presidential election

Saied’s supporters deny allegations that opposition politicians have been targeted for political reasons. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 July 2024
Follow

Tunisian judge imposes media ban on a candidate for presidential election

  • Opposition party said decision is ‘obstructions to challenging President Kais Saied’

LONDON: A Tunisian judge barred a potential presidential candidate from appearing in the media or traveling around the country on Friday, the latest politician to face what their parties have called obstructions to challenging President Kais Saied.
Abd Ellatif Mekki’s party called the measures an attempt to exclude a serious candidate from the campaign for elections on Oct. 6.
Opposition parties have accused Saied’s government of exerting pressure on the judiciary to track down the president’s rivals and pave the way for him to win a second term.
They say imprisoned politicians must be released and the media allowed to operate without pressure from the government.
Saied’s supporters deny allegations that opposition politicians have been targeted for political reasons. They say that running for elections is not a reason to stop prosecutions against people accused of crimes such as money laundering and corruption.
Two political leaders, Abir Moussi and Ghazi Chaouachi, have been imprisoned since last year.
Last week, police arrested another candidate, Lotfi Mraihi, on suspicion of money laundering. He said in a video that he has faced restrictions and harassment since announcing his candidacy.
Other potential candidates, including Safi Saeed, Mondher Znaidi and Nizar Chaari, are facing prosecution for alleged crimes such as fraud and money laundering.
OBSTRUCTION ALLEGATIONS
Mekki’s lawyer, Monia Bouali, told Reuters, “The judge decided to impose a travel ban on Mekki and prevent him from appearing in the media and social media and ordered him to stay (in) Wardia area,” referring to a neighborhood in the capital, where Mekki lives.

Court officials were not immediately available to comment on the decision.
“Mekki is clearly targeted to obstruct his campaign to collect signatures from citizens and to contact them,” said Ahmed Naffati, a prominent official in Mekki’s party, told Reuters.
Days after Mekki announced his candidacy this month, a court spokesman said Mekki was suspected of having participated in the murder of a businessman who died in prison years ago.

Mekki said he had nothing to do with this case, and that filing a case against him after he announced his intention to run showed he was targeted.
Saied, who was elected president in 2019, has not officially announced his candidacy but is expected to do so soon. Last year he said he would not hand over power to what he called non-patriots.
In 2021, Saied dissolved parliament and began ruling by decree in a move that the opposition described as a coup. Saied said his steps were legal and necessary to end years of rampant corruption.


Journalist Mariam Dagga’s final images show where she was killed by an Israeli strike in Gaza

Updated 29 August 2025
Follow

Journalist Mariam Dagga’s final images show where she was killed by an Israeli strike in Gaza

  • Dagga and other reporters regularly based themselves at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis during the war
  • She documented the experiences of ordinary Palestinians who had been displaced

GAZA CITY: The last photos taken by Mariam Dagga show the damaged stairwell outside a hospital in the Gaza Strip where she would be killed by an Israeli strike moments later.

Dagga, a visual journalist who freelanced for The Associated Press, was among 22 people, including five reporters, killed Monday when Israeli forces struck Nasser Hospital twice in quick succession, according to health officials.

The photos, retrieved from her camera on Wednesday, show people walking up the staircase after it was damaged in the first strike while others look out the windows of the main health facility in southern Gaza.

The Israeli military said it targeted what it believed was a Hamas surveillance camera, without providing evidence. Witnesses and health officials said the first strike killed a cameraman from the Reuters news agency doing a live television shot and a second person who was not named. A senior Hamas official denied that Hamas was operating a camera at the hospital.

Dagga, 33, and other reporters regularly based themselves at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis during the war. She documented the experiences of ordinary Palestinians who had been displaced from their homes, and doctors who treated wounded or malnourished children.

Algeria’s ambassador to the United Nations, his voice breaking and on the verge of tears, read a letter Wednesday to the UN Security Council that Dagga wrote days before she was killed.

It was addressed to her 13-year-old son, Ghaith, who left Gaza at the start of the war to live with his father in the United Arab Emirates.

Holding up a photo of Dagga, Amar Bendjama called her “a young and beautiful mother” whose only weapon was a camera.

“Ghaith. You are the heart and soul of your mother,” Bendjama quoted Dagga as writing. “When I die, I want you to pray for me, not to cry for me.”

“I want you never, never to forget me. I did everything to keep you happy and safe and when you grow, when you marry, and when you have a daughter, name her Mariam after me.”


Journalists rally in London to support colleagues in Gaza

Updated 29 August 2025
Follow

Journalists rally in London to support colleagues in Gaza

  • Protesters deliver letter to PM Starmer demanding accountability and stepped up UK action to protect media workers
  • Letter said more than 200 journalists have been killed in Israeli strikes in Gaza since the October 7, 2023 

LONDON: Journalists in the UK rallied Wednesday in central London in solidarity with colleagues in Gaza, in the wake of two Israeli military strikes earlier this week that killed five journalists.
Members of Britain’s National Union of Journalists (NUJ) gathered outside the Downing Street office and residence of Prime Minister Keir Starmer, delivering a letter demanding accountability and stepped up UK action to protect media workers.
Attendees then held a vigil, reading aloud the names of more than 200 journalists that press watchdogs have counted as killed in Gaza since the October 7, 2023, attacks by Hamas and subsequent Israeli military response.
Monday’s strikes in southern Gaza’s Khan Yunis killed at least 20 people, including the five reporters who worked for Al Jazeera, the Associated Press and Reuters, among other outlets.

Protesters hold placards and flags during a demonstration held by the London Freelance branch of the National Union of Journalists to honor journalists killed in Gaza, opposite Downing Street in London on Aug. 27, 2025. (AP)

The Israeli military said Tuesday its forces were targeting a camera operated by Hamas in the assault, which has triggered a wave of international condemnation.
It is the latest military action by Israel that has killed journalists, leading to accusations that they are being deliberately targeted.
The NUJ announced earlier this week that its members would join sister unions around the world in what it called “48 hours of solidarity action in support of journalists working in Gaza,” which started Tuesday.
“We’re here to show solidarity, and to show that we are horrified as fellow journalists about what’s happening,” said Deborah Hobson, a freelance journalist and NUJ member who helped organize the vigil and letter delivered to Starmer.
She called his center-left government’s response to the latest killings of journalists, as well as prior incidents, “extremely poor.”
“There’s nothing that says that the UK is horrified,” Hobson said.
“We have a prime minister who’s a human rights lawyer,” she added, referring to Starmer’s career prior to entering politics.
“We expect better from a Labor government in any case, because of its historical reputation in terms of justice, equality.”

A photo of the letter protesters' letter from representatives of the London Freelance branch of the National Union of Journalists to the UK government on August 27, 2025. (AFP)

The UK government has in recent months suspended arms export licenses to Israel for use in Gaza, suspended free trade talks with Israel and sanctioned two far-right Israeli ministers in protest at Israel’s conduct of the war.
Last week, it was one of 27 countries to call on Israel to allow “immediate independent foreign media access” into Gaza.
Mike Holderness, a writer and editor, said he had turned out “to honor and remember our colleagues, as well as demanding the strongest measures of protection” for journalists still working in Gaza and elsewhere.
“The vigil is to honor the memory of those who’ve given their lives to trying to report the truth.”


‘More questions than answers:’ Media watchdog urges ‘complete, independent’ investigation into Israel’s killing of 5 journalists

Updated 28 August 2025
Follow

‘More questions than answers:’ Media watchdog urges ‘complete, independent’ investigation into Israel’s killing of 5 journalists

  • Committee to Protect Journalists contested Israeli claims about the incident, calling them ‘incomplete’ and ‘inadequate’
  • ‘In not a single case over 24 years has anyone in Israel ever been held accountable for the killing of a journalist:’ CPJ CEO

LONDON: The Committee to Protect Journalists on Thursday called on Israeli authorities to guarantee a “complete” and “independent” investigation into the killing of five journalists in Gaza.

Israel struck Nasser Hospital in the southern Gaza Strip on Monday, killing at least 20 people, including five journalists who worked for Reuters, the Associated Press, Al Jazeera, and others.

Photojournalists Hossam Al-Masri, Mohammad Salama and Mariam Dagga, along with journalists Moaz Abu Taha and Ahmed Abu Aziz, died after an Israeli explosive drone targeted the medical complex.

“Israel’s initial report leaves many more questions than answers and does not explain why an Israeli tank fired on Reuters camera operator Hossam Al-Masri and the news agency’s visible, live-feed camera that had been filming from that location daily for several weeks,” said CPJ CEO Jodie Ginsberg.

“Nor does it explain why first responders — including other journalists — were targeted in an apparent so-called ‘double tap’ strike on the same location. The indiscriminate and disproportionate nature of the attack demand that this incident be investigated as an apparent war crime.”

A “double tap” is a controversial military tactic designed to maximize casualties by striking first responders such as medical personnel, rescue workers and journalists.

Reconstruction of the incident revealed that what was initially described as a second “tap” was actually two almost simultaneous strikes, both fired nine minutes after the first. These subsequent impacts appear responsible for the majority of fatalities

Following global condemnation, the Israeli military stated the back-to-back strikes were ordered because soldiers believed militants were using the camera to observe Israeli forces. Israel has long asserted that Hamas and other militant groups take shelter in hospitals.

The military’s chief of general staff acknowledged “gaps” in the investigation so far, including questions about the type of ammunition used to disable the camera. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the killing as a “tragic mishap.”

CPJ contested these claims, calling Israel’s explanation “incomplete” and “inadequate” given the scale of the tragedy. The watchdog also highlighted inconsistencies in statements from the Israeli leadership, including those from Netanyahu and the Israel Defense Forces.

The group warned that the lack of transparency “undermines Israel’s moral duty and obligations under international law” to protect journalists, adding that the incident reflected a “wider, deeply troubling pattern of lethal attacks on the media.”

“Our experience over decades is that Israeli-led investigations into killings are neither transparent nor independent — and in not a single case over the past 24 years has anyone in Israel ever been held accountable for the killing of a journalist,” Ginsberg said. “We demand a full, transparent and independent investigation to ensure accountability for this attack and any violations of international humanitarian law.”

The CPJ’s call for accountability comes amid a broader debate over the role of Western media during the Gaza conflict.

Reuters and the Associated Press have faced criticism for distancing themselves from the journalists killed by labeling them as contractors rather than employees — reflecting widespread contractual complexities in the industry. Critics argue this approach undermines the legitimacy of Palestinian journalists, who have endured a prolonged smear campaign by Israel.

Both agencies have also been accused of uncritically repeating Israeli justifications for the strike without sufficient challenge or contextualization. Fellow journalists have criticized the newswires for perceived hypocrisy, opportunism and bias.

Canadian photojournalist Valerie Zink resigned from Reuters after eight years, accusing the agency of “betraying journalists in Gaza” and “enabling the systematic assassination” of media workers. Zink stated she could no longer “wear this press pass with anything but deep shame and grief” as international criticism intensifies over Western media’s perceived failure to hold Israel accountable for atrocities in Gaza.


Dubai announces $1M global AI film award with Google

Updated 28 August 2025
Follow

Dubai announces $1M global AI film award with Google

  • Contest aims to highlight the potential of AI in filmmaking, with creativity, realism, and storytelling among the core judging criteria
  • Entries will be evaluated on the storytelling quality, creative use of AI, technical execution, and the film’s ability to deliver a humanitarian message

DUBAI: Dubai has announced a $1 million award for short films generated entirely by artificial intelligence in collaboration with Google’s Gemini as part of the 1 Billion Followers Summit.

The winning short film will take home the grand prize, while the top 10 competing films will be screened during the fourth edition of the summit, set to take place in Dubai from Jan. 9 to 11, 2026.

In a statement on Wednesday, the UAE Media Government Office, which organizes the event, said the contest aims to highlight the potential of AI in filmmaking, with creativity, realism, and storytelling among the core judging criteria.

Submitted entries must be fully generated using AI tools, and will be evaluated on the quality of storytelling, creative use of AI, technical execution, and the film’s ability to deliver a humanitarian message.

Further details about the competition will be announced next month, the office added.

“The Summit aims to support and encourage the production of purposeful films using diverse AI tools, raise awareness of the humanitarian messages such films should convey, and enhance creative capabilities, aesthetic vision, and advanced skills in integrating AI into film production,” the office said in a statement.

Organizers added that competition will focus on short films, given their powerful ability to deliver impactful messages to audiences.

UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs Mohammad Al-Gergawi said the summit is part of the country’s efforts to help drive the “content economy.”

He added: “The content economy is an economic power with limitless horizons. Today, the UAE is not only keeping pace with its developments but is also leading and charting new directions within that economy.”

As part of this, the UAE also allocated $13.6 million to fund creative projects by content creators. It will provide grants for projects with global cultural and economic impact and back joint ventures to establish companies led by content creators or creative tech developers. 

An additional $13.6 million has been dedicated to help startups and content creators pitch their ideas to top investors and companies, who will sponsor and invest in the most promising proposals.

Held under the theme “Content for Good,” the summit brings together top content creators, leading tech firms, industry experts, and entrepreneurs to foster global networking and empower creators with a supportive environment to scale and thrive internationally. The upcoming edition will feature 400 speakers with a combined following of over 3 billion followers.


US diplomat apologizes for using the word ‘animalistic’ in reference to Lebanese reporters

Updated 28 August 2025
Follow

US diplomat apologizes for using the word ‘animalistic’ in reference to Lebanese reporters

  • Barrack said he did not intend to use the word “in a derogatory manner” but that his comments had been “inappropriate”
  • At the start of a press conference at the presidential palace, journalists shouted at Barrack to move to the podium

BEIRUT: A US diplomat apologized Thursday for using the word “animalistic” while calling for a gaggle of reporters to quiet down during a press conference in Lebanon earlier this week.

Tom Barrack, who is the US ambassador to Turkiye and envoy to Syria and has also been on a temporary assignment in Lebanon, said he didn’t intend to use the word “in a derogatory manner” but that his comments had been “inappropriate.”

Barrack visited Beirut along with a delegation of US officials on Tuesday to discuss efforts by the Lebanese government to disarm the Hezbollah militant group and implementation of the ceasefire agreement that ended the latest war between Israel and the Hezbollah in November.

At the start of a press conference at the presidential palace, journalists shouted at Barrack to move to the podium after he started speaking from another spot in the room. After taking the podium Barrack told the crowd of journalists to “act civilized, act kind, act tolerant.” He threatened to end the conference early otherwise.

“The moment that this starts becoming chaotic, like animalistic, we’re gone,” said Barrack.

The comment sparked an outcry, with the Lebanese press syndicate calling for an apology and calling for a boycott of Barrack’s visits if none was issued. The Presidential Palace also issued a statement expressing regret for the comments made by “one of our guests” and thanking journalists for their “hard work.”

In an interview with Mario Nawfal, a media personality on the X platform, an excerpt of which was published Thursday, Barrack said, “Animalistic was a word that I didn’t use in a derogatory manner, I was just saying ‘can we calm down, can we find some tolerance and kindness, let’s be civilized.’ But it was inappropriate to do when the media was just doing their job.”

He added, “I should have been more generous with my time and more tolerant myself.”

Barrack’s visit came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israeli forces could begin withdrawing from territory they hold in southern Lebanon after the Lebanese government’s decided to disarm Hezbollah. When, how and in what order the Hezbollah disarmament in Israeli withdrawal would take place remain in dispute.

The Israeli army on Thursday launched airstrikes in southern Lebanon that it said were targeting “terrorist infrastructure and a rocket platform” belonging to Hezbollah.