WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has approved a resumption of Pakistan’s participation in a coveted US military training and educational program more than a year after it was suspended, the State Department said on Thursday.
The decision to resume Islamabad’s participation in the International Military Education and Training Program, or IMET — for more than a decade a pillar of US-Pakistani military ties — underscores warming relations that have followed meetings this year between US President Donald Trump and Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan.
Washington also has credited Islamabad with helping to facilitate negotiations on a US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan. The talks recently resumed between the United States and the Taliban, who US officials say receive sanctuary and other aid from the Pakistan’s military-led intelligence agency. Pakistan denies the charge.
The State Department administers IMET. It was a small facet of US security aid programs for Pakistan worth some $2 billion that remain suspended on orders that Trump abruptly issued in January 2018 to compel the nuclear-armed South Asian nation to crackdown on Islamist militants. Trump’s decision, announced in a tweet, blindsided US officials.
After an attack earlier this year by a Pakistan-based extremist group that killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary troops, US officials called on Islamabad to take “sustained and irreversible action” against militants operating from its territory.
A State Department spokeswoman said in an email that Trump’s 2018 decision to suspend security assistance authorized “narrow exceptions for programs that support vital US national security interests.” The decision to restore Pakistani participation in IMET was “one such exception,” she said.
The program “provides an opportunity to increase bilateral cooperation between our countries on shared priorities,” she added. “We want to continue to build on this foundation through concrete actions that advance regional security and stability.”
A second US official said on condition of anonymity that Pakistan was in the process of selecting officers to send to the United States.
The restart of the program, however, is subject to approval by Congress. Republican and Democratic aides for the Senate and House of Representatives committees with jurisdiction over the process did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
IMET affords spaces to foreign military officers at US military education institutions, such as the US Army War College and the US Naval War College.
Pakistan’s suspension from the program in August 2018 prompted the cancelation of 66 slots set aside that year for Pakistani military officers in one of the first known impacts of Trump’s decision to halt security assistance.
The US military traditionally has sought to shield such educational programs from political tensions, arguing that the ties built by bringing foreign military officers to the United States pay long-term dividends.
US to resume military training program for Pakistan — State Dept
https://arab.news/5janq
US to resume military training program for Pakistan — State Dept

- Warming relations have followed meetings between US President Donald and PM Khan this year
- Washington also credited Islamabad for facilitating Afghan peace talks
Pakistan’s new envoy to UN presents credentials to world body chief

- Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad has built a distinguished three-decade foreign service career
- He takes over at a time when Pakistan holds a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad, presented his credentials to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, state media reported on Thursday.
Ahmad, a seasoned diplomat, joined the Foreign Service of Pakistan in 1993 and has built a distinguished three-decade career, serving in Europe, Africa, Asia and at the UN.
He succeeds Ambassador Munir Akram, who concluded his tenure as the top diplomat at the country’s UN mission on Mar. 31 this year, according to the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP).
“The UN chief congratulated him on his new role and extended his best wishes for a successful tenure,” the APP said. “Ambassador Asim reaffirmed Pakistan’s steadfast commitment to multilateralism and the principles of the UN Charter.”
State media reported that Ahmad served as Ambassador to France and Monaco and Permanent Delegate to UNESCO from November 2022 to December 2024 before his current appointment.
He also held key roles in Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry, including as a spokesperson, and served as Ambassador to Thailand and Permanent Representative to ESCAP from 2017 to 2021.
According to APP, Ahmad’s previous experience at the UN includes being part of Pakistan’s Security Council delegations in 2003-2004 and 2012-2013.
He takes over at a time when Pakistan holds a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council, participating in major global debates, including the volatile situation and ongoing conflicts in the Middle East.
Pakistan unveils salt-themed pavilion for Expo 2025 Osaka to boost exports

- The expo in Japan is a major international event that will run from April 13 to October 13
- Pakistan seeks to leverage such platforms as it aims to become an export-oriented economy
KARACHI: Pakistan unveiled its national pavilion for Expo 2025 Osaka at a soft launch event in Kobe, said the country’s trade development authority on Thursday, featuring a design inspired by the country’s iconic salt mines amid a broader effort to promote exports of its globally appreciated pink salt.
The pavilion, themed “Universe in a Grain of Salt,” was introduced at a ceremony attended by 120 guests, including Japanese dignitaries, members of the Pakistani diaspora, cultural figures, academics and media representatives.
Expo 2025 Osaka is a major international event that will run from April 13 to October 13, with participation from 165 countries and an expected 28 million visitors. Pakistan, aiming to become an export-oriented economy, has taken part in similar global exhibitions elsewhere to highlight its culture and products to international markets.
“This pavilion belongs to all of you,” Muhammad Naseer, Project Director of the Pakistan Pavilion, said while addressing the participants of the ceremony. “Your stories, contributions and connection to Pakistan are part of this journey.”
“Over the next months, this space will be a place of discovery, dialogue and celebration, where we invite the world to experience Pakistan’s culture, innovation and aspirations,” he added.
Pakistan’s envoy to Japan, Ambassador Raza Bashir Tarar, praised the initiative and highlighted the pavilion’s potential to foster long-term cultural and economic ties.
He encouraged members of the Pakistani diaspora to actively support and promote the pavilion, calling it a symbol of national pride and global engagement.
The pavilion’s design, inspired by the Khewra Salt Mines in Pakistan’s Punjab province, incorporates a tranquil “salt garden” meant to offer visitors a multi-sensory experience reflecting both the country’s natural beauty and economic potential.
The Pakistani salt mines are among the oldest and largest in the world.
They are renowned for producing pink Himalayan salt, which is prized worldwide for its distinctive color and health benefits.
Pakistan also seeks to export more of its products by leveraging platforms such as the Osaka Expo.
In the heart of Bahawalpur, a 152-year-old palace continues to reflect its royal past

- Built by the ruler of Bahawalpur’s princely state in 1875, Noor Mahal spans over 44,600 square feet, houses 32 rooms
- Legend says the palace was built for the nawab’s wife, who refused to live there after seeing a nearby graveyard
BAHAWALPUR: A young nawab once built a palace for his wife, so goes a local legend, only for her to abandon it after a single visit. As the tale is told, Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV had Noor Mahal constructed for his spouse, who, after spending one night there, glimpsed a nearby graveyard from the balcony and refused to return, considering it a bad omen.
The story may not hold up to historical scrutiny, but it continues to captivate the many tourists who flock to Noor Mahal, Bahawalpur’s most iconic monument. Towering over manicured gardens, the palace, built in 1875, is famed for its Indo-European architecture and striking symmetry.
Before joining Pakistan in 1956, Bahawalpur was a princely state, one of over 500 semi-autonomous territories in British India ruled by local monarchs. These rulers retained control over internal affairs while pledging allegiance to the British Crown.
The 152-year-old Noor Mahal was a crown jewel of Bahawalpur under its last great ruler, lending some credence to the theory that it may have been built as a gesture of affection for Noor Jahan, his wife. Some historians, however, offer a different reading.
“At the time, the Nawab family had multiple palaces, and Noor Mahal was primarily intended as a guest house for foreign dignitaries and experts,” Dr. Nadeem Omar Tarar, an art historian, told Arab News while challenging the popular story.

Nevertheless, another scholar, Dr. Usman Ali, maintained that the building might originally have been planned as a personal residence before its use shifted.
“The 1904 Gazetteer acknowledges that it was originally designed as a personal residence but later repurposed due to its proximity to the graveyard,” he said.
The story of Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan’s ascension to the throne is equally intriguing. When his father died at the age of 29 on March 25, 1866, Khan was just four years old. The young nawab was immediately declared his successor, but his position was challenged by rival factions seeking control of the state.

Fearing internal unrest, his family and loyalists turned to the British for support. In return for their intervention, the British assumed guardianship of the child ruler, securing complete political influence over Bahawalpur.
“The British government took the young Nawab under its guardianship, ensuring his personal education, health and training while also focusing on the development of every sector of the state,” Hafizur Rahman Hafiz wrote in his 1924 book, “Tajdaran-e-Riyasat Bahawalpur.”

To oversee both state affairs and the young Nawab’s upbringing, Major Charles Cherry Minchin was appointed political agent in November 1866 and served as the de facto authority until Nawab Sadiq IV formally assumed power at the age of 18.
Noor Mahal was constructed over an area of 44,600 square feet, featuring 32 rooms — 14 of them in the basement — along with six verandas and five domes.
Its design was selected from 11 architectural proposals solicited from across India, with the final plan submitted by a building designer named Muhammad Hussain, adopted with minor modifications.

The palace blends Corinthian and Islamic styles, with columns, balustrades and pediments sitting alongside domes and angled arches, a signature of Indo-Saracenic architecture.
A commemorative inscription and state coins were buried in its foundations during construction as a good omen, according to court historian Azizur Rahman Aziz in his book, “Subh-e-Sadiq.”
After Bahawalpur joined Pakistan in 1956, Noor Mahal came under the Auqaf Department. In 1971, the Pakistan Army leased the property and eventually bought it in 1997 for Rs119 million ($428,400).
Today, the palace is open to the public and remains a major tourist attraction. Each evening, visitors gather for a sound and light show narrating Bahawalpur’s history, from its state rulers to its accession to Pakistan.
“The immersive experience draws large crowds every weekend, running throughout the year,” said local tourism official Waqas Ahmed.
Pakistan delivers first batch of quake aid to Myanmar as death toll tops 3,000

- Aid workers fear higher death toll from 7.7 quake as remote areas remain cut off
- Earthquake has worsened Myanmar’s deepening humanitarian crisis amid civil war
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s first humanitarian consignment for victims of the devastating earthquake in Myanmar was handed over to local authorities at Yangon International Airport, the National Disaster Management Authority in Islamabad said in a statement on Thursday.
The 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck nearly a week ago, with its epicenter near Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city. It caused widespread devastation, toppling thousands of buildings, buckling roads and destroying key infrastructure across several regions.
The death toll has climbed to 3,085, according to an update by Myanmar’s military authorities, who said 4,715 people were injured and 341 remain missing.
Pakistan has pledged 70 tons of relief goods to Myanmar and has so far delivered half the promised amount.
“Ambassador of Pakistan at Myanmar H.E. Imran Haider along with Pakistan Embassy’s diplomats/ officials handed over the relief goods to the Chief Minister of Yangon Region and Director General Training of MoFA [Ministry of Foreign Affairs],” the NDMA said.
“The Government of Pakistan and Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority remains steadfast in its commitment to providing humanitarian assistance to earthquake-affected people of Myanmar,” it added.
The natural disaster has worsened an already dire humanitarian situation in Myanmar, where the military junta seized power from Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected government in 2021, triggering a nationwide civil conflict.
Even before the quake, over 3 million people had been displaced and nearly 20 million were in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the United Nations.
Media reports and aid workers warn the true toll could be far higher, as many remote areas remain inaccessible due to damaged infrastructure and disrupted communication lines.
With input from AP
UN rights council adopts Pakistan-led OIC resolution on Palestine seeking Israel’s accountability

- Pakistan’s top diplomat at the UN council says impunity for human rights violations enables more and worse violations
- The resolution calls for a mechanism to prosecute those responsible for the most serious crimes against Palestinians
ISLAMABAD: The United Nations Human Rights Council on Wednesday adopted a resolution presented by Pakistan on behalf of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), calling for accountability for Israel and justice for Palestinians in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT), amid the ongoing conflict in Gaza.
The war in Gaza, which began in October 2023, has persisted despite multiple international efforts to broker a ceasefire. The Palestinian death toll, according to latest figures, has exceeded 50,000, with women and children making up a large share of the casualties.
Thousands remain missing under the rubble of buildings destroyed in Israeli airstrikes. In parallel, there have been mounting reports of harassment, arbitrary detentions, and even sexual assaults against Palestinians in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
“Over the past eighteen months, the Palestinian people under occupation have faced horror upon horror,” Pakistan’s top diplomat at the UN mission in Geneva, Ambassador Bilal Ahmed, told the Council. “Whether in the desolate Gaza Strip or the West Bank including East Jerusalem, this Council has borne witness to a litany of crimes that demand justice.”
Ahmed said the resolution reflects the International Court of Justice’s advisory opinion from July 2024, which declared Israel’s continued presence in the Palestinian territories illegal.
It also incorporates findings by the UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the widespread and systematic use of sexual violence against Palestinians, particularly women and girls.
The resolution emphasizes the need to prevent and punish “incitement to genocide in Gaza,” in line with the ICJ’s provisional measures issued in January 2024.
It further calls for the establishment of an independent mechanism to assist in the investigation and prosecution of those responsible for the most serious crimes under international law.
“We have long known that impunity for human rights violations enables more and worse violations,” Ahmed said. “The adoption of this resolution would signal the strong resolve of this Council to end impunity for serial violators. For the Palestinian people, it would be the light at the end of an unimaginably dark tunnel.”
Pakistan’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva confirmed later that the resolution was adopted by an overwhelming majority.