Iran hails October 7 as ‘turning point in history’

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks to the press after meeting with Syrian officials at the Iranian embassy in Damascus on October 5, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 October 2024
Follow

Iran hails October 7 as ‘turning point in history’

  • “Supporters of the occupying regime, especially the United States, have been complicit in the crimes of this regime” against Palestinians, Lebanese, Syrians and Yemenis, it said

TEHRAN: Iran praised Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel as a decisive moment for Palestinians on Monday as it marked the first anniversary of the deadliest attack on Israeli soil.
“The operation on October 7, 2023... was a turning point in the history of the legitimate struggle of the Palestinian people against the occupation and oppression of the Zionist regime,” Iran’s foreign ministry said.
It described the attack as a release of “the Palestinian people’s pent-up historic anger against eight decades of occupation, murder and genocide.”
The statement also accused Israel’s allies of supporting these actions.
“Supporters of the occupying regime, especially the United States, have been complicit in the crimes of this regime” against Palestinians, Lebanese, Syrians and Yemenis, it said.
It added that they “must be held accountable for supplying weapons and supporting the Zionist regime.”
 

 


Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency

  • They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Saturday they had arrested eight people suspected of trying to transmit the coordinates of sensitive sites and details about senior military figures to Israel’s Mossad, Iranian state media reported.

They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June, when it attacked Iranian nuclear facilities and killed top military commanders as well as civilians in the worst blow to the Islamic Republic since the 1980s war with Iraq.

Iran retaliated with barrages of missiles on Israeli military sites, infrastructure and cities. The United States entered the war on June 22 with strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.

A Guards statement alleged that the suspects had received specialized training from Mossad via online platforms. It said they were apprehended in northeastern Iran before carrying out their plans, and that materials for making launchers, bombs, explosives and booby traps had been seized.

State media reported earlier this month that Iranian police had arrested as many as 21,000 “suspects” during the 12-day war with Israel, though they did not say what these people had been suspected of doing.

Security forces conducted a campaign of widespread arrests and also stepped up their street presence during the brief war that ended in a US-brokered ceasefire.

Iran has executed at least eight people in recent months, including nuclear scientist Rouzbeh Vadi, hanged on August 9 for passing information to Israel about another scientist killed in Israeli airstrikes.


Istanbul’s ferries, a beloved link between two continents

Updated 30 August 2025
Follow

Istanbul’s ferries, a beloved link between two continents

  • Iconic link for countless passengers traveling between Istanbul’s European shores and its Asian side
  • Main operator Sehir Hatlari carries at least 40 million passengers a year

ISTANBUL: For nearly two centuries, the white ferries gliding over the Bosphorus Strait have provided an iconic link for countless passengers traveling between Istanbul’s European shores and its Asian side.
Despite the increasingly congested waters and competition from the Turkish megacity’s bridges and undersea metro line, the ferries remain very popular.
The main operator Sehir Hatlari carries at least 40 million passengers a year.
“Any view of Istanbul must include Maiden’s Tower, a ferry and a seagull,” smiled Adil Bali, a specialist on the history of Istanbul’s ferries, referring to a tiny rocky outcrop at the southern entrance to the Bosphorus.
“It is one of the few cities in the world that can be crossed by sea, so the ferries are indispensable here.”
Their arrival in 1843 transformed the simple fishing villages lining the shores of the Bosphorus into popular holiday destinations where wooden palaces were later built overlooking the water, boosting trade.
Until the first Bosphorus bridge was opened in 1973, the only way to cross between Istanbul’s Asian and European sides was by boat – and today, the experience remains an essential part of the city’s charm.
At the helm of the Pasabahce, the flagship of Sehir Hatlari’s 30 vessels, Captain Ekrem Ozcelik said the waters had become increasingly crowded.
“There’s a lot more traffic on the water,” he said of the tankers, containers and cargo ships that pass through the strait linking the Black Sea to the Aegean via the Sea of Marmara and the Dardanelles.
There are also cruise ships and private yachts navigating what is one of the world’s busiest waterways, where 41,300 vessels passed in 2024, official figures show – an average of 113 per day.
“Navigating the waters of Istanbul requires a certain amount of experience,” Ozcelik said of the strait’s powerful currents, whose waters can get particularly tricky when strong southwesterly winds can whip up three-meter (10-foot) high waves.
Born into a family of sailors and fishermen, Ozcelik said his boyhood dream was to one day don the white cap and uniform of a captain.
Now 52, he enjoys the freedom of sailing and the kudos of his profession.
“Being a captain in the heart of Istanbul is a source of great pride.”
And even more so on the Pasabahce, which recently escaped being decommissioned and instead underwent a two-year restoration, returning to the Bosphorus in 2022 on its 70th birthday.
“It’s harder to maneuver than the others. It’s heavier and turning corners is complicated,” admitted first officer Semih Aksoy, 36.
But he added he wouldn’t change the iconic ferry for the world, with its trademark wooden tables and old-world air of faded luxury.
“This ship has a unique beauty, a special feel to it.”
With its nine-man crew, the Pasabahce mainly sails the 20-minute route between the Asian district of Kadikoy and Besiktas on the European side.
But even that relatively short trip can be tricky, said Burak Temiz, a 24-year-old sailor.
“This summer, people were jumping into the water from Maiden’s Tower for hours.
“And then there are the fishing nets,” he said, adding that the ferry’s bows had even been grazed by jet skis in the crowded waters.
All the other ferries have a six-man crew, and dozens more staff work at the city’s 53 ports, many of whom are known by regulars.
Ibrahim Bayus, a 62-year-old engineer born on Buyukada, the largest of the nearby Princes’ Islands in the Sea of Marmara, recalls the familiarity of the ferries.
“As a boy, I often forgot to bring money but the captain knew me,” he smiled.
With the service only suspended for snow, fog or a violent storm, Captain Ozcelik recalls when three students on Buyukada came to beg for his help.
“Traffic had been suspended but they told me if they couldn’t take their exams, they would fail the entire year. So I took them to Kadikoy. And they all passed,” he smiled.
And they still come to visit him.


Jordanian foreign minister calls for global action over latest Israeli offensive in Gaza

Updated 30 August 2025
Follow

Jordanian foreign minister calls for global action over latest Israeli offensive in Gaza

  • Ayman Safadi accuses Israeli Prime Minister Behjamin Netanyahu of blocking peace and prolonging war to ensure his own political survival
  • He praises Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain for condemning the offensive and Israel’s plans for a permanent presence in Gaza City

AMMAN: Jordan’s foreign minister on Friday called on the international community to take stronger action against Israel in response to the nation’s latest military offensive in Gaza, warning that continued impunity will only fuel further regional instability.

In a message posted on social media platform X, Ayman Safadi praised his fellow foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain for their joint condemnation on Friday of the most recent military offensive in Gaza, as well as the announcement by Israeli authorities that they plan to establish a permanent presence in Gaza City.

He urged other countries committed to the principles of international law and human rights to follow suit.

 

 

“The impunity with which Israel is making a mockery of international law cannot continue,” Safadi said, stressing that decisive measures were needed to end the hunger crisis Palestinians in Gaza are faced with amid continuing restrictions on delivery of aid.

He accused Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is embroiled in a long-running court case on charges of corruption, of deliberately prolonging the conflict to ensure his own political survival.

“Netanyahu thrives on conflict,” Safadi said, describing the policies of the Israeli government as serving a “racist, inhumane ideology that the world should not tolerate.”

Safadi said Netanyahu was “destroying Gaza, destroying hopes for a just peace, and setting fire to the entire region” to save his own political career. More than 1.3 million Palestinians have lost their livelihoods as a result of the conflict in the territory, he added, and a million people in Gaza City face famine.

The minister said a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas was within reach but accused Netanyahu of blocking it.

“He prefers the war to continue,” Safadi said. “This is the horrific reality that the international community cannot ignore any more.

“We urge all countries to adopt the position of Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain, and others who are standing on the side of peace and justice, and act now to stop more slaughtering of innocent Palestinians.”


UAE and Cyprus partner to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza

Updated 29 August 2025
Follow

UAE and Cyprus partner to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza

  • The initiative is taking place under the Amalthea Maritime Corridor program, established in March 2024 to complement other international aid efforts

ABU DHABI: The UAE and Cyprus are working together to deliver vital humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza, the countries’ governments said on Friday.

The joint initiative is being carried out under the Amalthea Maritime Corridor program, which was established in March 2024 to complement other international efforts to send aid to Gaza by land, air and sea.

The corridor, which is supported by UN’s Office for Project Services and humanitarian organization World Central Kitchen, operates under the provisions of UN Security Council’s Resolution 2720, which established mechanisms for the facilitation and monitoring of aid to Gaza.

So far, 1,200 tonnes of aid supplies, financed by the UAE through its Amalthea Fund, have been shipped via Port of Ashdod in Israel for delivery to Gaza. The consignments, sent in coordination with partner countries and aid organizations, included food supplies, with a focus on baby nutrition and flour to meet particularly urgent needs in the territory amid Israel’s war with Hamas.

Officials from the UAE and Cyprus said the cooperation between their nations reflects a shared commitment to ensuring the safe and sustained delivery of aid with the aim of reaching civilians across Gaza in line with the principles of international humanitarian law, the Emirates News Agency reported.


Lebanese army completes disarmament of 6 Palestinian refugee camps

Updated 29 August 2025
Follow

Lebanese army completes disarmament of 6 Palestinian refugee camps

  • Negotiations on Hamas’ weapons in Lebanon still ongoing
  • Israeli drone kills Hezbollah member who had been wounded in pager attack

BEIRUT: The Lebanese army on Friday received a new batch of heavy weapons from Palestinian Liberation Organization factions in refugee camps in Lebanon.

These included the Shatila camp and Mar Elias camp in Beirut, as well as the Burj Al-Barajneh camp in Beirut’s southern suburb, in line with a Lebanese-Palestinian disarmament deal as part of the Cabinet’s decision to restrict weapons to the state.

While Lebanese army vehicles did not enter the Burj Al-Barajneh camp, the handover took place in the courtyard where the first batch was delivered last week.

Twenty-four hours earlier, the Lebanese army had received a batch of light and medium weapons, B7 rockets, and medium-range surface-to-surface missiles from the camps of Tyre, Rashidieh, Burj Al-Shemali and Al-Bass, all located south of the Litani River. The confiscated weapons were transported in eight trucks: six from Rashidieh, one from Al-Bass and another from Burj Al-Shemali.

The weapons handover did not include Hamas and Islamic Jihad weapons, as these two organizations are not subject to the authority of the PLO.

It included six of the 12 camps, the largest of which is Ain Al-Hilweh, the most densely populated, with the largest number of armed Palestinian factions. 

The Cairo Agreement with the PLO at the end of the 1960s legalized the weapons of factions affiliated with the PLO in Lebanon. The agreement fell apart after the civil war in Lebanon, when President Amin Gemayel signed a law revoking it in 1987. The law abolishing the agreement was approved by the Lebanese Parliament.

The weapons of Palestinian organizations that were formed later, including those of Hamas and Islamic Jihad, were deemed illegal.

Ramez Dimashkieh, head of the Lebanese-Palestinian Dialogue Committee, told Arab News that negotiations over the weapons of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other affiliated Palestinian forces are underway.

“We are talking about the weapons of the PLO factions, with whom we negotiated and reached an agreement. As for the weapons of Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and Palestinian forces orbiting around them, the matter requires negotiations with them,” said Dimashkieh.

He added: “A dialogue took place some time ago and it was positive, but after Hezbollah’s position declaring that it would not hand over its weapons, we do not know Hamas’ stance or that of the allied forces, and we must negotiate.”

The handover of weapons in Beirut has been completed, and the next stage will take place in the camps of northern Lebanon and the Bekaa, and later, north of the Litani River, said Dimashkieh.

In a statement in WAFA, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, the official spokesman for the Palestinian presidency, confirmed that the “relevant Palestinian authorities in Lebanon have handed over the third batch of weapons belonging to the PLO that were present in the Palestinian camps in Beirut, to be placed in the custody of the Lebanese army.”

Abu Rudeineh affirmed that this step was taken in line with the agreement between Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Aoun on May 21 to establish a joint Lebanese-Palestinian committee to monitor the situation in the Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon and to work toward improving the lives of refugees, while respecting Lebanese sovereignty and complying with Lebanese laws.

He noted that “both parties reaffirmed their commitment to safeguarding the humanitarian, social, and economic rights of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon, in a manner that ensures them a dignified life without compromising their right of return or undermining their national identity.”

They also reiterated their commitment to keeping all weapons exclusively under the Lebanese state’s authority throughout its territory.

The Lebanese–Palestinian Dialogue Committee said this process reflects “a transition to a new phase of Lebanese–Palestinian relations, based on partnership and cooperation in safeguarding national stability and respecting Lebanese sovereignty.”

Meanwhile, an Israeli drone carried out a strike with a guided missile on a car at the entrance to the town of Sir El Gharbiyeh in the Nabatieh area, north of the Litani River, killing Hezbollah member Ahmed Naim Maatouk, who had previously been wounded in Israeli explosions targeting pagers supplied to Hezbollah members about a year ago.

On Friday, Lebanese army commander Gen. Rodolph Haykal took part in the funeral of 1st Lt. Mohammed Ismail and First Adjutant Rifaat Al-Taaimi at the Central Military Hospital. The two soldiers were killed on Thursday evening as a result of the explosion of an Israeli drone while inspecting it in the town of Naqoura.

The Israeli army claimed in a statement that the drone “was targeting a Hezbollah vehicle, and we regret the injury of Lebanese army soldiers.”

It said it launched an investigation into the incident in which ammunition failed to explode and fell in Naqoura.