Syrian FM Al-Shibani receives invitation to visit Saudi Arabia

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shibani. (SANA)
Short Url
Updated 30 December 2024
Follow

Syrian FM Al-Shibani receives invitation to visit Saudi Arabia

  • Al-Shibani has expressed optimism about the future of Syrian-Saudi relations

DUBAI: Foreign Minister of the transitional government in Syria, Asaad Hassan Al-Shibani, said on X on Monday that he had accepted an invitation from his Saudi counterpart Prince Faisal bin Farhan to visit the Kingdom, in what would be his first foreign trip since the ouster of former president Bashar Assad on Dec. 8.

“We look forward to building strategic relations with Saudi Arabia in all fields,” read a statement posted on the Syrian Arab News Agency's X account.

Al-Shibani has expressed optimism about the future of Syrian-Saudi relations, and has emphasized the importance of building strategic ties in all fields, SANA reported.

He added, “I am honored to represent my country and look forward to this opportunity to enhance cooperation and dialogue.”

It follows comments made by Syria’s new leader, Ahmed Al-Sharaa, who said Saudi Arabia had a major role to play in his country’s future during an interview with Al Arabiya, which aired on Sunday.

“Saudi Arabia has a major role in Syria’s future, and I take pride in everything it has done for us,” he said, adding that he spent his early childhood in Riyadh and hoped to visit the city again.

Al-Sharaa also praised recent Saudi statements as “very positive” and commended Riyadh’s efforts toward stabilizing Syria.

Earlier this month, a high-ranking Saudi delegation headed by an advisor to the Royal Court visited Syria and met with Al-Sharaa in Damascus.


Muslim World League condemns Israeli strikes on Saudi cultural center, school in Gaza

Updated 57 min 29 sec ago
Follow

Muslim World League condemns Israeli strikes on Saudi cultural center, school in Gaza

  • Deadly attacks that killed, injured dozens described as ‘horrific crimes against civilians and civilian facilities’
  • MWL chief calls for urgent international action over what he says are war crimes

RIYADH: The Muslim World League has condemned Israeli airstrikes that hit a Saudi cultural facility and a school in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, as Israel resumed military operations following the collapse of a temporary truce with Hamas.

In a statement carried on the Saudi Press Agency on Friday, MWL Secretary-General Sheikh Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa denounced the targeting of the Saudi Center for Culture and Heritage’s warehouse, which destroyed medical supplies intended for the sick and wounded in Gaza.

He also condemned the strike on Dar Al-Arqam School, which reportedly killed and injured dozens, describing the attacks as “horrific crimes against civilians and civilian facilities.”

Al-Issa said: “These acts represent a flagrant violation of all international and humanitarian laws and norms.” 

He called on the international community to take urgent action, and urged global bodies to activate accountability mechanisms and hold perpetrators responsible for what he described as war crimes.

The condemnation comes amid renewed violence in Gaza since March, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israel has resumed its bombardment of the enclave, saying it is targeting militant infrastructure, while humanitarian agencies have warned of deepening crises and mounting civilian casualties.


Kingdom arrests 18,407 illegals in one week

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Kingdom arrests 18,407 illegals in one week

RIYADH: Saudi authorities arrested 18,407 people in one week for breaching residency, work and border security regulations, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

A total of 12,995 people were arrested for violations of residency laws, while 3,512 were held over illegal border crossing attempts, and a further 1,900 for labor-related issues.

The report showed that among the 1,260 people arrested for trying to enter the Kingdom illegally, 66 percent were Ethiopian, 28 percent Yemeni, and 6 percent were of other nationalities.

A further 67 people were caught trying to cross into neighboring countries, and 21 were held for involvement in transporting and harboring violators, the SPA reported.

The Ministry of Interior said that anyone found to be facilitating illegal entry to the Kingdom, including providing transportation and shelter, could face imprisonment for a maximum of 15 years, a fine of up to SR1 million ($260,000), as well as confiscation of vehicles and property.

Suspected violations can be reported on the toll-free number 911 in the Makkah and Riyadh regions, and 999 or 996 in other regions of the Kingdom.


Authorities foil drug trafficking across Kingdom

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Authorities foil drug trafficking across Kingdom

RIYADH: Saudi authorities carried out multiple drug-related arrests across the Kingdom, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday. 

In Asir’s Al-Raboah sector, Border Guard land patrols thwarted the smuggling of 540 kg of qat.

In two other operations, authorities arrested two Ethiopians for smuggling 25 kg of qat and three Yemenis for smuggling 66 kg of qat in the same area.

Land patrols in the Al-Tawwal sector of the Jazan region foiled the smuggling of 51.4 kg of hashish.

The General Directorate of Narcotics Control arrested two Pakistanis in Riyadh with 1.6 kg of methamphetamine, locally known as shabu.

In Jeddah, authorities arrested an Ethiopian, two Yemenis, and a Palestinian with 6 kg of hashish.

The directorate also arrested a citizen in Asir with 30 kg of hashish.

Another citizen was arrested in the Jouf region for selling amphetamine.

In Jazan’s Al-Dayer sector, Border Guard patrols arrested eight Ethiopians for smuggling 144 kg of qat.

Preliminary legal procedures were completed, and all seized items were handed to the relevant authorities.

The public is urged to report drug smuggling or sales by calling 911 in Makkah, Riyadh, and the Eastern Province, or 999 in other regions.

Reports can also be submitted confidentially to the General Directorate of Narcotics Control at 995 or via email at 995@gdnc.gov.sa.


KSrelief helps crisis-hit regions worldwide

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

KSrelief helps crisis-hit regions worldwide

RIYADH: The Kingdom’s aid agency, KSrelief, is providing humanitarian assistance to some of the world’s most vulnerable people, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

In the Syrian Arab Republic, KSrelief distributed 125 food baskets in Rif Dimashq governorate, helping 125 families.

In northern Lebanon, 828 Syrian refugee families in Western Beqaa, Akkar, and Danniyeh received food aid. In Beirut, 237 food baskets reached 1,185 vulnerable people.

In Yemen’s Hodeidah governorate, KSrelief pumped 3.5 million liters of drinking water and 448,000 liters of non-potable water in one month as part of its water and sanitation project.

A KSrelief mobile medical clinic in Hajjah governorate served 1,691 patients during the same period, the SPA reported.

In Sudan, 2,000 food packages were distributed to displaced and needy families in Atbara, River Nile State, aiding 12,001 people.

Since its launch in May 2015, KSrelief has carried out 3,389 projects worth almost $7.9 billion across 106 countries, in partnership with over 300 organizations.


How AI technology is changing the beauty industry

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

How AI technology is changing the beauty industry

  • Algorithms are used to recommend salons to customers in Saudi Arabia
  • Millions of gigabytes of data on hair and skin is being fed into AI engines

RIYADH: Artificial intelligence is increasingly being used in the beauty industry, both in Saudi Arabia and internationally.

Mohamed Hassan, CEO of Saudi-based Glamera, spoke to Arab News about how the company uses AI to recommend services to customers.

“The system analyzes user behavior and preferences to offer personalized service suggestions,” he said.

Founded in Egypt in 2020, where it still covers Cairo and Alexandria, Glamera then relocated to Saudi Arabia, where it covers Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Taif, Qassim, and Madinah.

Another technology implemented by some beauty companies is augmented reality, which allows users to ‘try out’ beauty products using their smartphones. 

L’Oreal uses AI technology for a wide range of features including analyzing customer reviews and evaluating product formulas, Vismay Sharma, president of L’Oreal South Asia Pacific, Middle East, and North Africa, told Arab News.

The company’s Beauty Genius, which provides users with analysis, product recommendations and personalized routines for hair and makeup, is powered by generative AI.

L’Oreal has also created SkinConsultAI, which “measures skin aging” and offers personalized skincare regimens.

Sharma said that the company has collected a vast amount of data on hair and skin — more than 11 million gigabytes — which is fed into the AI engine.

“We have by far the highest amount of data … that is what we are now feeding into all of our AI engines such as LLMs (large language models), which is allowing us to do significant exploration of formula evaluation,” Sharma said.

Stressing how important it is to use technology responsibly, Sharma added that L’Oreal has been transparent about its commitment to not using computer-generated photos of results. 

“We never use GenAI on our models, because that, in a way, is faking results,” he said. “There are very clear ethical rules that we put around the use of technology and I very strongly believe that if technology is in the hands of responsible people, using it responsibly can significantly enhance the quality of experience, the beauty journey of consumers, and the overall efficiency of an organization.”