Dominant Raducanu advances to second round of Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

Wild Card Emma Raducanu is through to the second round of the the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 17 February 2025
Follow

Dominant Raducanu advances to second round of Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

  • Wildcard Briton completes hat-trick of wins over Greece’s Maria Sakkari
  • Two-time Dubai champion Elina Svitolina eases past 2024 finalist Anna Kalinskaya, while Bencic, Vondrousova, and Badosa all progress

DUBAI: Emma Raducanu got her maiden Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships campaign off to the perfect start on Sunday night, defeating former World No. 3 Maria Sakkari of Greece 6-4, 6-2 under the lights on Centre Court.

Raducanu, the 2021 US Open champion, is a high-profile wildcard this week as Dubai’s women’s tournament celebrates its landmark 25th anniversary. Making her first appearance in the tournament, she broke her opponent at the first opportunity to take an early lead at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium. Yet Sakkari, ranked 29th in the world and 31 places above her opponent, battled back to level the set in the sixth.

Raducanu arrived in Dubai on a run of four consecutive defeats and three first-round exits. So it was much to her credit that she maintained composure to immediately regain the lead, breaking back without dropping a point.

“I just tried to stay focused on what was in front of me,” Raducanu said. “There was some momentum shared throughout the match and I think when I was broken in the first set, I regrouped really well to break back and was really pleased with how I performed.”

The second set was initially similar to the first as the British No. 2 immediately broke Sakkari’s serve before letting her lead slip once more, this time in the fourth game. But she kept her composure and regained the lead — this time turning the screw to break again and capitalise on Sakkari’s errors to take a 5-2 lead. Serving for the match, she drew cheers from the crowd with a powerful ace down the middle.

“I’m very happy to get through to the next round,” she said. “The support has been great tonight. It’s my first time spending a little bit of time here (in Dubai) and I’ve really enjoyed it. What I love most is that everything is open late and I’m a big night owl, so I can go out and go for my walks at, like, 11pm.” 

The two players had only ever met previously at Grand Slams, with Raducanu coming out on top both in the semi-final of her historic 2021 US Open campaign and in the Round of 32 at Wimbledon last year. With her Dubai victory making it a hat-trick of wins over the same opponent — all without dropping a set — Raducanu was asked on court what it is about Sakkari’s game she most enjoys playing against.

“It’s a difficult one … In a way, we play quite similar, she’s very athletic,” Raducanu said. “I’m not necessarily going to give all my tactics away; it’s just a very difficult match every time we play, so I’m happy to have won on these occasions — and all big tournaments.”

Raducanu will now meet 14th seed Karolina Muchova in the second round on Tuesday after the Czech overcame Suzan Lamens 6-2, 6-2 on Court 1.

Earlier in the evening, two-time champion Elina Svitolina made light work of last year’s surprise finalist Anna Kalinskaya, defeating the World No. 18 6-1, 6-2 in a little more than an hour. Thirty-year-old Svitolina is making her 10th appearance in the emirate and wasted no time dispatching No. 15 seed Kalinskaya, who made history in the event last year to become the first qualifier to reach the final of the WTA 1000 event.

World No. 22 Svitolina, a back-to-back winner here in 2017 and 2018, will now face either Slovakia’s Rebecca Sramkova or Clara Tauson of Denmark.

Meanwhile, World No. 34 Marketa Vondrousova advanced to the second round after beating French wildcard Caroline Garcia 6-2, 6-2 on Court 1. The Czech will now face either Elina Avanesyan or Mirra Andreeva, who meet on Monday in the final match on Centre Court. Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic also advanced with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Japan’s Aoi Ito, while American wildcard Sofia Kenin despatched Donna Vekic 7-5, 6-3. There was no surprise in the first match of the day as World No. 10 Paula Badosa beat New Zealand’s Lulu Sun 6-3, 6-4.

The 25th edition of the annual WTA 1000 event runs until Feb. 22, before the 33rd staging of Dubai’s ATP Tour 500 tournament takes place from Feb. 24 to March 1.

 


Emery glad to see Rashford make landmark appearance

Updated 27 sec ago
Follow

Emery glad to see Rashford make landmark appearance

“Happy for him,” Emery said
“Happy because he is achieving individual objectives as well, with these appearances he is doing, playing matches here with us”

LONDON: Aston Villa manager Unai Emery said he was “happy” for Marcus Rashford as the England forward prepares to make his 500th career appearance.
Rashford has undergone something of an on-field revival since joining the Birmingham club on loan from Manchester United, with the England forward scoring three goals in his last two Villa outings.
He is now set to make his 12th appearance for Emery’s side at home to Nottingham Forest on Saturday, having made 426 appearances for United in total and won 62 caps for England.
“Happy for him,” Emery said. “Happy because he is achieving individual objectives as well, with these appearances he is doing, playing matches here with us.
“And try to enjoy with him, not more, try to feel comfortable himself every day here, with everything we are doing and with his team-mates.
“Training, playing and of course with the challenges we have together, to try to achieve, and to play in his best form, qualities, skills and confidence.”
Villa are chasing a seventh straight win in all competitions against high-flying Midlands rivals Forest as they aim to continue an impressive season.
They reached the FA Cup semifinals with victory at Preston on Sunday, and Wednesday’s 3-0 win at Brighton lifted them to within four points of the top four with eight games to play.
Spanish manager Emery could have a full-strength squad to face Forest, with Ross Barkley recovering from a long-term knee injury and Leon Bailey set for a late fitness test.
Emery said having returning players available again would be vital to how Villa finished the season, adding: “We don’t have now time to explain a lot about how we are, and how we are playing a lot of matches now being very, very important in Premier League, in Champions League and in FA Cup.
“Of course, the players now, we are recovering players, we are feeling stronger.
“We were in some moments in the season with some players injured, with some players not feeling physically good.
“We were struggling sometimes and not achieving the objective we were facing in that moment.
“Of course now, with the players we have more or less available for (Saturday’s) match, or the match we play before, I’m happy because my plan is to try to extend 90 minutes competing in the demands we have, and the demands (of) the opponent facing us.”

Postecoglou plays dangerous game with gestures to Tottenham’s disgruntled fans

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Postecoglou plays dangerous game with gestures to Tottenham’s disgruntled fans

  • Postecoglou was asked about his actions after Sarr’s “goal” and, in his unique style, said “I wanted them to be happy, mate”
  • “We’d just scored a cracking goal,” he said. “I wanted them to cheer because they hadn’t had a lot to cheer about”

LONDON: By cupping his ear and waving sarcastically, Tottenham manager Ange Postecoglou went head-first into a confrontation with his critics.
Unfortunately, those critics were the club’s hard-core fans.
Postecoglou, whose future at Tottenham has been looking increasingly uncertain in a tough season for the underperforming London team, might have gone a step too far Thursday when he appeared to goad his own supporters during the 1-0 loss at Chelsea — even though he later denied having that intention.
Tottenham’s away contingent had serenaded Postecoglou with a chant of “You don’t know what you’re doing” after the combative Australian coach made two substitutions in the 64th minute at Stamford Bridge, including bringing on Pape Sarr to replace fellow midfielder Lucas Bergvall.
Within five minutes, Sarr scored a goal from long range and Postecoglou reacted by facing the end containing Tottenham’s fans, cupping his hand to his ear and then waving.
Unfortunately for Tottenham and Postecoglou, the goal was disallowed and Chelsea went on to secure a 1-0 win that consigned Spurs to a 16th loss in 30 Premier League games this season.
Postecoglou was asked about his actions after Sarr’s “goal” and, in his unique style, said “I wanted them to be happy, mate.”
“We’d just scored a cracking goal,” he said. “I wanted them to cheer because they hadn’t had a lot to cheer about.”
Tottenham fans sure will attest to that this season.
And his explanation might not wash with many fans who appear to have turned against their manager, maybe because of the team’s results, maybe because of his style of play, and maybe because of increasingly unhappy demeanor.
It was only a couple of months ago, after a 2-1 loss to relegation-threatened Leicester, that he attempted to confront a fan who had directed criticism the Tottenham manager’s way as he walked down the tunnel.
That is one thing, however. Appearing to taunt supporters — though he denied doing so again in a news conference on Friday, maintaining his actions did been misinterpreted — is another.
“I’d heard the supporters weren’t happy with my decision, which is fine,” he said, “and my response was to celebrate and get them to make some noise and get them behind the team.”
Postecoglou, who is coming to the end of his second season at Tottenham after joining from Celtic, said he wasn’t affected by fan criticism.
“I have been fighting my whole career,” he continued, “and I’ll continue to fight until I’m told to stop by someone.”
Given the growing disconnect between Postecoglou and the fans, winning the Europa League — and thereby ending Tottenham’s 17-year wait for a major trophy and securing a place in next season’s Champions League — might be the only thing that keeps him in his job.
Tottenham play Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League quarterfinals, with the first leg on Thursday.
Lose and Tottenham just have Premier League games left to play. The team are in 14th place in the 20-team league, making it a woeful campaign for a team among the so-called “Big Six” in England and which were one of the clubs pushing to join a breakaway Super League four years ago.
Postecoglou, who has previously blamed injuries for his team’s poor results this season, said Friday he understood the criticism heading his way and didn’t want to “say something that somehow will change the mood of the fans.”
“I still believe we’ve got a massive opportunity for ourselves this year,” he said, “and I’m not going to let that slip away — whether that’s from external or internal pressure.”


Ariya Jutanugarn maintains group lead over Nelly Korda at T-Mobile Match Play

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Ariya Jutanugarn maintains group lead over Nelly Korda at T-Mobile Match Play

  • Jutanugarn, of Thailand, won 2 and 1 against Altomare to continue to lead Group 1, though she will face Korda in the final leg of the round robin Friday
  • Angel Yin (1-0-1) leads Group 10, and Russia’s Nataliya Guseva (1-0-1) is on top in Group 15

LAS VEGAS: World No. 1 Nelly Korda avoided a second straight collapse, but Ariya Jutanugarn maintained her advantage in Group 1 play Thursday at the T-Mobile Match Play in North Las Vegas, Nevada

Korda built a lead and held on to finish 1 up on Jennifer Kupcho, who fell to 0-2 in the event. That marked an improvement from Wednesday for Korda, when the defending champion settled for halving her match after losing a late lead to Brittany Altomare.

“Golf doesn’t necessarily bring out (head-to-head competitiveness) unless you’re in a playoff or whatnot,” Korda said. “(It) just makes you a little bit more aggressive of a player.”

Jutanugarn, of Thailand, won 2 and 1 against Altomare to continue to lead Group 1, though she will face Korda in the final leg of the round robin Friday. A win there would give either player the group.

The 64-player field is divided into 16 four-player groups competing in three days of round-robin matches. A win earns one point, a tie earns a half-point and a loss is zero points. The winner of each group moves on to a 16-player, single-elimination bracket beginning Saturday. In the event of a tie for first place in a group, a playoff will determine which player advances. The quarterfinals will be played on Saturday, with the semifinals and final on Sunday.

Overall, 12 golfers are 2-0 through two days of play at Shadow Creek Golf Course, putting each in a strong position to win her group and advance to the 16-person field Saturday.

Thailand’s Jeeno Thitikul defeated Mexico’s Gaby Lopes 2 and 1 to get to 2-0 in Group 2. South Korea’s Sei Young Kim upended Japan’s Yuna Nishimura 4 and 2 to advance to 2-0 in Group 4.

Group 5 features Australia’s Stephanie Kyriacou leading the way at 2-0 after her 4-and-2 victory over Japan’s Ayaka Furue.

The only group with a pair of 2-0 golfers is Group 9, as South Korea’s Hyo Joo Kim and Sweden’s Maja Stark are still perfect and face off Friday.

Other 2-0 golfers after two days include Japan’s Mao Saigo in Group 7 (the only debut golfer at 2-0), Canada’s Brooke M. Henderson in Group 8 (having played only playing 27 holes — the fewest in the field), France’s Celine Boutier in Group 11, South Korea’s A Lim Kim in Group 12, Sweden’s Madelene Sagstrom in Group 14 and South Korea’s Narin An in Group 16.

Group 3 and 13 each have a four-way tie for first place at 1-1-0, while England’s Charley Hull and South Africa’s Ashleigh Buhai co-lead in Group 6 at 1-0-1.

“I love this format and it’s been a lot of fun,” New Zealand’s Lydia Ko said after winning her Thursday match 6 and 5 over Australia’s Gabriela Ruffels to get into that four-way tie in Group 3. “Yesterday I came off the day not feeling like defeated. I still had a great time.”

Angel Yin (1-0-1) leads Group 10, and Russia’s Nataliya Guseva (1-0-1) is on top in Group 15.


Stephen Curry scores 37 points as Warriors beat Lakers in potential first-round playoff preview

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Stephen Curry scores 37 points as Warriors beat Lakers in potential first-round playoff preview

  • The Golden State Warriors score their fourth win in a row
  • Curry was coming off a 52-point effort, including 12 3-pointers, at Memphis on Tuesday

LOS ANGELES: Stephen Curry scored 37 points, Brandin Podziemski added 28 and the Golden State Warriors defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 123-116 on Thursday night for their fourth win in a row in a potential first-round playoff preview.
Podziemski had a career-high eight 3-pointers on a night when Curry was 4 of 11 from long range. Curry was coming off a 52-point effort, including 12 3-pointers, at Memphis on Tuesday.
LeBron James had 33 points and nine assists to lead the Lakers. Austin Reaves added 31 points, including nine 3-pointers, Rui Hachimura had 24 points and Luke Doncic had 19 points, missing all six of his 3-point attempts.
Doncic’s basket got the Lakers to 105-99 in the closing minutes. Curry and Podziemski hit back-to-back 3-pointers and James and Reaves answered with ones of their own, leaving the Lakers down by seven.
James and Curry traded scoring runs in the third, when the Lakers closed within eight after trailing by 16 in the second quarter. James had 12 of 14 points for his team early on. Curry ran off 13 in a row and then made three free throws to send the Warriors into the fourth leading 88-77.
Jonathan Kuminga added 18 points and nine rebounds off the bench for Golden State, which beat the Lakers for the first time in four games this season. The Warriors’ last win in LA came a year ago.
Takeaways
Warriors: They closed a six-game trip — tied for longest of the season — with a 4-2 mark. They remain in a tight battle to hold onto a top-six seed and avoid the play-in tournament with six games left.
Lakers: James went over 11,000 points as a Laker on a 3-pointer in the second quarter, becoming the 10th player in franchise history to do so.
Key moment
Reaves made a 3-pointer coming out of a timeout to leave the Lakers trailing 121-116 in the closing seconds. But Doncic fouled Curry, who made both.
Key stat
The Warriors won without needing Jimmy Butler, who had 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting. He’d been averaging 17.3 and had 27 against Memphis.
Up next
Both teams complete back-to-backs on Saturday. The Warriors host Denver and the Lakers host New Orleans.


Trump hopeful of ‘great’ PGA-LIV golf merger

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Trump hopeful of ‘great’ PGA-LIV golf merger

  • Trump: You’ve got the PGA Tour, you’ve got the LIV tour. And I think having them merge would be a great thing
  • PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said earlier this month that Trump’s intervention in ongoing negotiations had “significantly bolstered” hopes of reunifying the sport

MIAMI: President Donald Trump said Thursday he is optimistic of an eventual merger between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf following a new report of a stalemate in negotiations to reunify the game.

Speaking on Air Force One as he traveled to Florida ahead of this weekend’s LIV Golf Miami event at Trump National Doral, the US leader said he believed a merger was inevitable.

“Ultimately, hopefully the two tours are going to merge,” Trump told reporters. “That’ll be good. I’m involved in that, too, but hopefully we’re going to get the two tours to merge.

“You’ve got the PGA Tour, you’ve got the LIV tour. And I think having them merge would be a great thing.”

Trump, a keen golfer, has hosted two rounds of recent talks at the White House between leaders of the PGA Tour and the Saudi Arabia-financed LIV as the sport attempts to move on after LIV’s entry in 2021.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said earlier this month that Trump’s intervention in ongoing negotiations had “significantly bolstered” hopes of reunifying the sport.

However, a report in Britain’s The Guardian newspaper on Thursday said negotiations had reached an impasse after the PGA Tour failed to deliver “serious concessions” in exchange for a $1.5 billion investment from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), the sovereign wealth fund which bankrolls LIV.

The Guardian report citing unidentified sources said PIF had sought assurances from the PGA Tour that the LIV circuit would continue following any deal, and that the fund’s governor, Yasir Al-Rumayyan, would be appointed as co-chairman of PGA Tour Enterprises.

However, the PGA Tour rejected both of those requests in a response to LIV sent on Monday, according to The Guardian.

News of the deadlock comes ahead of the first major of the year at next week’s Masters at Augusta National, where 12 players from LIV Golf will tee off against top rivals from the PGA Tour.

Five-time major winner Brooks Koepka, one of the highest-profile players to defect to LIV Golf, admitted this week that he was disappointed that the Saudi-funded circuit had not progressed further in its four seasons.

“I think we all hoped it would have been a little bit further along, and that’s no secret,” he said. “But they’re making progress and it seems to be going in the right direction.”