Whether the night sky is currently lit by a brightly romantic full moon or a darkly quiet new moon, astrology holds that each phase of the lunar cycle, as well as each month’s particular full and new moons, have their own specific ways they affect us when it comes to dating, love and relationships.
For those who follow the guidance of their zodiac signs, it’s helpful to keep a monthly moon calendar on hand so you don’t have to constantly wonder “When is the next new moon?” or “When is the next full moon?”
After all, the moon’s powerful energy has an effect on most aspects of our world.
Gardeners know it makes the flowers bloom, fishermen are well ‘schooled’ in its effect on their catches, and hospital delivery rooms have been known to gear up for a baby boom when the moon is at its fullest!
It’s no secret that the Moon has a powerful influence on our outer world in so many ways. And as many sensitive souls will tell you, it also can deeply affect your inner world as well.
I happen to be a sensitive souled “Moon baby” born under the sign of Cancer, which in astrology is ruled by the Moon, but I promise, it’s not just us Cancers who feel Her gentle (and sometimes not so gentle!) pull.
Consider the powerful effect the Moon has on the tides. So is it any wonder that, given the fact that our bodies are made of mostly water, we humans are inexorably tied to the moon’s rhythms and energy, as well?
This is why new and full moons can be wonderful opportunities to focus, reflect and create new meaning in our lives and relationships.
In order to understand the effects each has on your love life, you must start by recognizing the differences between new moon and full moon energy?
New moons occur when the sun and moon are at their closest point in the sky, and Earth is sandwiched between them. This placement of Earth blocks the sun’s rays from reaching the moon, making the moon seemingly disappear from the sky.
A new moon signals growth and new beginnings.
Full moons occur when the sun and moon are opposite each other in the sky, and the moon is reflecting all of the sun’s light. During a full moon, you’re likely to give birth to plans made and projects started since the new moon, nurturing them to fulfillment and realization.
The full moon is our time of greatest vitality and creativity.
How does lunar energy affect your love life and relationships?
Both the full and new moon can affect your love life, but they do so in very different ways.
The full moon’s influence on our love lives is powerful and astonishing. It amplifies your love and makes every interact with your partner feel more romantic and magical.
The new moon’s influence is more subtle. During this dark time of the lunar cycle, it’s natural for you to draw inward and focus on creating a new beginning. This is the time we plant the seeds for ideas, plans and actions that we want to grow over the coming weeks, as the moon slowly becomes more full.
Using the moon’s cycle to your advantage can help you nourish an existing love or get the timing right when pursuing a new love.
How can I use new moon energy to improve my love life throughout the rest of 2018 and on into 2019?
Depending on your love life status or relationship goals, pick a “theme” to focus on during each lunar cycle in order to help you focus yourself on achieving one goal per new moon.
You can use the examples below, or come up with your own themes that resonate more personally with where you are on your relationship journey.
- July 2018: Creating supportive environments
- New moon in Cancer on July 12
- Full Buck Moon in Leo on July 27
- August 2018: Remembering to play together!
- New moon in Leo on August 11
- Full Sturgeon Moon in Virgo on August 26
- September 2018: Practicing extreme self-care
- New moon in Virgo on September 9
- Full Harvest Moon in Libra on September 24
- October 2018: The Yin/Yang dance of relationships
- New moon in Libra on October 8
- Full Hunter’s Moon in Scorpio on October 24
- November 2018: Accessing our personal power
- New moon in Scorpio on November 7
- Full Beaver Moon in Sagittarius on November 23
- December 2018: Love rituals to launch the new year
- New moon in Sagittarius on December 7
- Full Cold Moon in Capricorn on December 22
- January 2019: Setting healthy boundaries
- New moon in Capricorn on January 5
- Full Wolf Moon in Aquarius on January 21
- February 2019: Maintaining our individuality
- New moon in Aquarius on February 4
- Full Snow Moon in Pisces on February 19
- March 2019: Dreaming the future
- New moon in Pisces on March 6
- Full Worm Moon in Aries on March 20
- April 2019: Igniting Passion
- New moon in Aries on April 5
- Full Pink Moon in Aries on April 19
- May 2019: Honoring our bodies
- New moon in Taurus on May 4
- Full Flower Moon in Taurus on May 18
- June 2019: Creative communication
- New moon in Gemini on June 3
- Full Strawberry Moon in Gemini on June 17
Use the powerful influence of the moon to re-balance your life and relationships, re-energize your mind, body, and spirit, and reconnect with the healing cycles of nature.
If you embrace the ebb and flow of the moon’s light as a metaphor for your own life cycles — from letting go, to seeking stillness, to visioning, and eventually to full manifesting — you’ll be engaged in a lifelong workshop of personal growth and self-discovery.
Life and relationship coach Deborah Roth is also a counseling astrologer and interfaith minister. She loves creating powerful rituals with individuals and couples to support them through life and career transitions and enhance all areas of their lives. You can visit her website to read her New Moon Love Magic blogs or email her to schedule a 30-minute introductory coaching session.
This article was originally published at Spirited Musings. Reprinted with permission from the author.